Be #VoterReady for Iowa’s elections by following these simple steps. A voting Iowan is an Iowan who is empowered to influence and create change at the federal, state, and local level. Casting your ballot is as easy as registering, providing proof of identification, and voting.
Ready to Vote 2022:
Make a Plan to Vote In Iowa
Important Dates for the 2022 General Election
- Tuesday, August 30 – First Day to File Absentee Ballot Request with County Auditor
- Wednesday, October 19 – First Day of Absentee Voting
- Monday, October 24 – Pre-registration Deadline; Deadline to Request Absentee Ballot to be Mailed
- Saturday, November 5 – Auditors’ Offices Open for Absentee Voting
- Monday, November 7 – Absentee Ballot In-Person Deadline
- Tuesday, November 8 – General Election Day; Absentee Ballots Receipt Deadline
Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. CT. Absentee ballots must be received in your county auditor’s office prior to 8:00 p.m. CT on Election Day.*
*VOTERS CASTING THEIR ABSENTEE BALLOT PURSUANT TO UOCAVA OR IOWA CODE CHAPTER 9E SHOULD REVIEW THEIR ABSENTEE BALLOT INSTRUCTIONS FOR ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE.
What You Need to Bring When Voting
In Iowa, voters are required to provide one of the following forms of identification:
- Iowa Driver’s License (not expired more than 90 days)
- Iowa Non-Operator ID (not expired more than 90 days)
- U.S. Passport (not expired)
- U.S. Military ID or Veteran ID (not expired)
- Iowa Voter Identification Card (must be signed)
- Tribal ID Card/Document (must be signed, with photo, not expired)
An Iowa Voter Identification Card is provided automatically by the county auditor to each voter who does not have either an Iowa driver’s license or non-operator ID. Any voter may request an Iowa Voter ID Card by contacting their county auditor’s office.
A voter without one of the above forms of ID may have the voter’s identity attested to by another registered voter in the precinct or may prove identity and residence using Election Day Registration documents.
Proof of residence may be required if updating your address on Election Day.