Register to Vote
Registering to vote is a legal requirement to vote in elections in Iowa. To register, you:
- Must be at least 17 years old. A person may vote if they will be 18 years old on or before election day. In the case of primary elections, a person may vote if they will be 18 years old on or before the corresponding regular election
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must be an Iowa resident
- Cannot be a convicted felon (unless your voting rights have been restored by the Governor, including through Executive Order, after a felony conviction)
- Cannot be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
- Cannot claim the right to vote in any other place
How and Where to Register to Vote in Iowa
Monday, October 18 is the final day to pre-register to vote for the 2021 City/School Election. Completed voter registrations may be mailed to your county auditor and must be received by 5:00 PM CST on October 18 or must be postmarked on or before October 18. Registrations submitted online must be completed at or before 11:59 PM CST on October 18.
At the County Auditor’s Office
You may register at the county auditor’s office. If you don’t know where that is, click here to find your county auditor.
You may register or update your registration online if you have an Iowa driver’s license or Iowa non-operator ID.
You may complete the Iowa Voter Registration Form and mail it to your county auditor.
At The Polls on Election Day
If you are not registered to vote in the county where you live, you may go to your correct polling place and register on Election Day. You must provide acceptable proof of identity and current residence in the precinct. Proof of residence documents may be in an electronic format or on paper. If you do not have sufficient documentation, another registered voter who lives in the same precinct may attest to your identity and residence.
Am I Already Registered?
You may check the Iowa Secretary of State’s website to see if you are already registered.
Restoring Voter Rights
Iowans who have completed felony sentences may now be eligible to vote! Go to RestoreYourVote.Iowa.Gov for more information.